Saturday, November 5, 2011

MTSS

I've just finished my 3rd day of 6 hours of training.  I hate prepping for a Sub and I find that I miss my classroom kiddo's so much.   In fact when we got out early today I had to rush to see them before they were dismissed.  I missed bus kids (BOO!!) but got to see the walkers.  Much to my surprise on my desk was a TROPHY!! Yes Mrs. Fahrenbruch's class won the trophy dash race for Multiplication this week. (Folks no lie, it has been 2 years!!!! Since my kids won that thing, my kids really struggle learning their math facts)  If any of you teacher's out their have any helpful hints... throw them my way.

Anyway MTSS training. What a long day. This "system of supports" is suppose to help create a learning environment meant to explicitly teach missing reading skills that students haven't mastered and enrich those who Core Reading is working.  After thinking long and hard about the presenters information today, I can't stop wondering what are some great ways to enrich with Vocabulary.  If kids don't have vocabulary they can't use context clues to help them.  She says that  the average student should learn 1000 WORDS in a year.  Well I know I can't teach that many but I definitely need to beef up the vocabulary skills taught to these kids.   I thought of myself as a fairly decent teacher but I'm finding that I lack in a variety of areas.  I'm hoping MTSS helps me to continue to grow as an educator and do what's best for my kids.

If any of you out their have had experiences that you can share, please let me know.

I have found one of my new favorite fluency books is called Six Minute Solutions.  The kids love the "competition" it creates for reading fluently and accurately.  Anything to get them excited about reading.  Another amazing website that has helped guide some instruction this year is www.fcrr.org. This site has got skills broken down across the Phonemic Awareness/ Phonics continuum... Wahoo, I love these two resources right now!!

No comments:

Post a Comment